Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Trebuchet Challenge Project Recommendations

My experience with the trebuchet challenge project was very positive! I thoroughly enjoyed the experience. Specific things that went well for my team and myself were:

1. Teamwork: My team members are good friends of mine. This made it easy to work with other group members. This also enabled us to be very comfortable to share ideas and opinions about our trebuchet and the experience. Also, we were easily available to work together on the trebuchet in order to complete it.

2. Test Day: Test day went very well for my team. This really encouraged us and gave us motivation as we moved from test day to competition day.

3. Distance Competition: Our distance competition was very successful! We were able to achieve hurls of over 50.0 m every time with our trebuchet. We were thrilled with these results!

4. Paper Trebuchet Construction: Our paper trebuchet was constructed very quickly. This was mainly due to the fact that all of the members in my group had spares at the same time and were able to all contribute to the construction of the mini paper trebuchet.

One of the recommendations that I have for future physics 40S students for the trebuchet challenge would be to research trebuchets. Look in to how successful trebuchets have been constructed and engineered! Also, I would recommend trying a variety of pouches for the trebuchet itself. The pouch is such a crucial aspect of the trebuchet that getting the perfect pouch may make or break your entire trebuchet. A final recommendation that I have for future physics students is to not change things that work well- especially the day before, or during competition day. If you have your trebuchet hurling over 25m consistently, leave it! Don't change everything to try to drastically increase your distance because it may cause your trebuchet to have less than optimal results.

No comments:

Post a Comment